The American Red Cross Southern Arizona Chapter and the Arizona Department of Economic Security will explain their programs for Veterans at a free workshop on Tuesday, Aug. 20, at the Kino Veterans’ Workforce Center, 2801 E. Ajo Way.
The American Red Cross Southern Arizona Chapter’s services for Veterans include housing assistance (rent, utility payments, security deposits, moving costs), benefits review, employment preparedness and education enrollment assistance.
The Department of Economic Security assists Veterans with job referrals, job training and other employment services.
The presentations begin at 8:30 a.m.
After the presentations, Veterans can learn to use online tools including Self-Directed Search, Career Zone and O*Net to assess the transferability of skills from military experiences to new career choices, explore career options and search for employment.
To sign up or obtain more information, please call (520) 740-4646 or (520) 243-6700.
Career Exploration for Veterans workshops are held every other Tuesday at the Kino Veterans’ Workforce Center. For more information, please visit the Kino Veterans’ Workforce Center online
Pima County One-Stop Career Center opened the Kino Veterans’ Workforce Center last year to help military Veterans find jobs and get training, benefits and support services; and to help employers hire Veterans.
One-Stop’s partners in the Center include the U.S. Departments of Labor, Defense and Veterans Affairs; the Arizona Departments of Veterans Services and Economic Security; Pima Community College; Community Partnership of Southern Arizona and Rally Point; CODAC/Comin’ Home; Tucson Veterans Serving Veterans; Salvation Army; Old Pueblo Community Services; Primavera Foundation; the Arizona Veterans Commission; SER Jobs for Progress; and local employers.
The Kino Veterans’ Workforce Center offers:
- Peer support, drop-in and welcome
- Career counseling and job search assistance
- Help with resumes, interview and phone techniques
- Skill and aptitude assessments
- Computer labs and office equipment
- Behavioral health services and recovery
- Occupational skills training
- Adult education, tutoring and study skills
- Benefits counseling and claims assistance – education, medical care, disability
- Assistance with housing and other basic needs during transition to employment
- Business recruitment and workforce training assistance