Home Visits and Nursing Referrals
Public Health Nurses (PHN) make visits to individuals and families, ranging in age from newborn through the elderly. PHNs can visit any resident of Pima County, without regard to location, age or insurance status. There is never a waiting list to receive visits from a PHN. PHNs provide health teaching, assessment/evaluation, and case management, with a focus on health promotion and disease prevention.
Examples of appropriate PHN referrals include:
- People with ongoing chronic health problems needing a nursing evaluation to assess the client’s and/or family’s ability to manage care at home.
- People needing referrals to and assistance in obtaining resources.
- People in need of health education, assessment and guidance.
- New parents in need of teaching, guidance and support
- Pregnant women in need of teaching, guidance and support
- Women experiencing pregnancy complications or with a history of pregnancy complications
- Women identified as high-risk due to comprehension barriers
- People in need of assistance in obtaining medical care/resources.
- Families with at-risk children – premature, failure-to-thrive, substance exposed etc.
- Anyone at risk for abuse/neglect
Referrals that are not appropriate for PHN follow-up include:
- Requests for home health/skilled nursing services
- Treatment/confirmation of head lice unless extenuating circumstances exist
- Routine reminders of medical/clinic appointments or tracking non-compliant patients, unless condition is urgent.
- Behavioral health clients with a history of violence or threatening behavior that pose a threat to staff
- Anyone requiring immediate or emergency medical care. Please call 911 immediately.
- Actual child or adult abuse and/or neglect. These should be reported to Child Protective Services - Call Toll-Free Child Abuse Hotline 1-888-SOS-CHILD (1-888-767-2445)) or Adult Protective Services 1-877 SOS-ADULT (877-767-2385).
If you feel that the person/family may benefit from PHN services, please contact one of our offices and ask to speak to a PHN about the situation.
If you have additional questions, please contact one of our offices and ask to speak to a PHN:
- East Office (520) 298-3888
- South Office (520) 889-9543
- North Office (520) 243-2850
- Green Valley (520) 648-1626
- Ajo, Az (520) 387-7206
- Catalina (520) 825-9299