Homeless Youth and Adults - Sullivan Jackson Employment Center
The Sullivan Jackson Employment Center (SJEC) opened its doors in 1986 to respond to the employment and training needs of homeless men and women seeking to enter the workforce. SJEC has been a pioneer in developing effective approaches to assist homeless individuals and families seeking to become self-sufficient.
SJEC's clients consistently obtain and retain fulltime, unsubsidized employment above minimum wage.
SJEC believes that clients must be job ready - have all of their basic needs met – before they can focus on career choices and learn the techniques that will result in employment. In this regard, SJEC is unlike other employment and training programs, so clients are enrolled in an Integrated Individual Service Strategy program that results in a Case Plan and an Employability Development Plan.
Location/Hours of Operation:
Sullivan Jackson Employment Center
400 E. 26th Street
Tucson, AZ 85713
Hours of Operation:
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Monday – Friday
Suntran Bus Route: #23
Download the program's brochure
SJEC does not target a particular segment of the homeless population. SJEC accepts all individuals – men, women, youth and veterans who meet the basic program requirements:
- job-willing, and
- referred by another community-based agency.
How the program works:
- Each client is sheltered as the first step of program participation.
- Using case management practices, additional needs are identified and services are provided as needed (usually through linkages with other agencies).
- Once basic needs are met, clients enter a two-week Employability Skills training program.
Clients dedicate themselves to a structured job search program with the assistance and review of case management and job development staff.
- When employment is obtained, the SJEC continues to support the client's transition to independent living.
For instance, the program may provide, when needed for employment tools, uniforms, and specialized footwear.
- Aftercare Program – Clients may participate in SJEC's aftercare program for up to one year following employment. The program focus on early and prompt intervention to prevent loss of employment and assistance is adjusting to work and independent living.
- The Sullivan Jackson Employment Center also helps clients with an array of supportive services, including educational opportunities, usually provided by partner agencies.
How to Schedule an Appointment:
If you are willing to work, if you want to become self-sufficient and increase your employability skills, please call the Sullivan Jackson Employment Center at (520) 838-3300 for more information, and to schedule an intake appointment with a case manager (sorry, due to scheduled appointments, no intakes are possible on a walk-in basis).
Program funding resources:
Funding for the Sullivan Jackson Employment Center is provided by:
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development – Supportive Housing Programs
- U.S. Department of Labor - Homeless Veterans Program
- Pima County Workforce Investment Board (WIA)
- City of Tucson
- United Way