To enhance the economic welfare of the Pima County citizens and businesses.
Program Goals and Objectives
- Coordinate Pima County’s economic development resources to concentrate on collaborative community efforts in business and job creation, business retention and expansion, increased tourism and enhancing the communities quality of life.
- Effectively coordinate all public resources to produce a sustaining positive business development climate.
- Create a unique awareness of Pima County through branding to increase business and leisure travel.
- Develop a more comprehensive marketing plan in partnership with Visit Tucson with the following initiatives: increase Mexican tourism to the attractions, create a destination special event department in Tucson, develop a marketing assistance grant program for the area attractions, assist in the development of new air routes to Tucson, and increase the number of film and video production utilizing Pima County as their base shooting and production headquarters.
- Increase cultural and heritage awareness of Pima County.
- Develop optional use concepts for County land for Pima County Fairgrounds, Leased Property Attractions and environmental friendly businesses.
- Develop a partnership approach to County Involvement in all public and private organizations involved in economic and tourism development.
- Increase the number of special events and revenue producing activities at Kino Sports Complex.
The department and its programs are funded by both public and private funds in partnership with its community outside agencies, the city of Tucson, Southern Arizona Attractions Alliance, Arizona Office of Tourism, Arizona Department of Commerce and the Metropolitan Tucson Convention and Visitors Bureau.