Health Alert:   COVID-19 Transmission Level:   HIGH   More information
Get vaccinated.
Pima County Government Logo
  • Increase font size
  • Decrease font size
  • Print
  • RSS
  • Questions or complaints about the downtown homeless encampment?

    Mar 04, 2015 | Read More News
    Share this page
    homeless campMany members of the public have expressed concern or had questions about the homeless encampment/protest downtown.

    Pima County is doing everything it can to deal with the effect of the encampment. For a summary of the what the County is doing and what it will do, see this memo to the Board of Supervisors from Pima County Administrator Chuck Huckelberry.

    Health and Sanitation Concerns
    There is a serious health and sanitation problem associated with the homeless camp in the west end of downtown. The County is vigilantly cleaning County property near the camps every day. However, if the public encounters a health or sanitation problem on County property (The Superior Court and Administration complex on Congress, the Old County Courthouse, the Bank of America Building, or the County Attorney’s and Public Defender offices on Stone), during the day, they can report the problem to the Pima County Health Department, 520-724-7908, or Pima County Facilities Management, 520-724-3085.

    If the health and sanitation problem they encounter is on Congress or Church streets or Broadway Boulevard, they can report it to the Downtown Tucson Partnership, 520-268-9035. If the issue is urgent and a threat to public safety, they should call 9-1-1.

    Animal Concerns
    Many of the homeless people camping downtown have dogs. If a problem occurs with one of these animals, the public can call Pima Animal Care Center, 520-724-5900, and press '3' when the voice message starts. If the animal is an immediate threat to public safety, they should call 9-1-1.

    Damaged, Inoperative or Soiled County Facilities
    For concerns about misuse of County property, especially public toilets in County facilities, the public can call Pima County Facilities Management, 520-724-3085 to report the problem.