Pima County Government Logo
  • Increase font size
  • Decrease font size
  • Print
  • RSS
  • New Year’s fireworks lead to high stray dog intake at PACC

    Jan 02, 2018 | Read More News
    Share this page
    stray dogsIf your pooch has gone missing for the New Year, it may be at Pima Animal Care Center. As with Independence Day, New Year’s Eve fireworks often cause a high number of strays brought to PACC in the first few days of the year. Fireworks can frighten dogs who will find unique and extraordinary ways to escape their yards and homes due to their increased anxiety. 

    PACC is asking those finding stray dogs to hold them at their homes. Dogs are much more likely to be returned home if they remain in their neighborhood. Stray finders can take dogs to any local vet to have them scanned for a microchip and can call the Pet Support Center, 520-724-7222, to file a FOUND report.

    If you’ve lost a pet, here’s what to do: 
    • Posting flyers and notices around the neighborhood immediately.
    • Visit PACC’s website to view the shelter's lost and found pets daily to see animals that have been picked up as strays or turned in by the community. (Keep in mind that if an animal is not claimed within three full days by its owner, it will be evaluated for adoption or rescue.) 
    • File a lost report with Pima Animal Care Center by calling 724-5900, as well as filing one with the Humane Society of Southern Arizona. And make sure you check with both shelters about any found pet reports.
    • Visit the Lost and Found Pets on Craigslist. 
    • Check with neighbors, as well as nearby veterinarians and groomers, to see if they’ve had word on your pet and post flyers there.
    • Finally, make sure your pet is micro-chipped and that your contact information is updated. You should also license your dog. It’s the law, but it’s also the best way to help us find you if they end up in a shelter. It’s only $16 a year for a dog that has been spayed or neutered