• Increase font size
  • Decrease font size
  • Print
  • RSS
  • What Tenants Need to Know During COVID-19

    Rent Help banner

    Rental assistance, eviction protection for COVID-impacted tenants

    Funding is Limited | APPLY NOW

    Rental Assistance

    Did you get behind on rent because of a COVID-19 related hardship? If so, click the button to begin an initial request for assistance through the Arizona Department of Housing (ADOH) or call toll free 2-1-1 to apply via telephone or for assistance in completing the application.

    You will need:
    • Your state-issued photo I.D.
    • A copy of your current lease
    • Documents proving the crisis that caused you to get behind on your rent
    You may be eligible for up to $2,000 per month, for multiple months if needed. The payment goes directly to the landlord.

    Below is a list of other agencies that may be able to help as well.

    Eviction Protection

    The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) issued a national moratorium on evictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic, effective through Dec. 31, 2020. Tenants need to meet certain criteria to qualify and are required to act in order to receive eviction protection.

    (Click for FAQ for renters.)

    This CDC action ensures renters impacted by COVID-19 will be able to stay in their homes while extending the time to access rental assistance programs. But the tenant is still responsible for all of the rent due and must follow all the other terms of the lease.

    Click below, fill out the CDC form and deliver it to your landlord.

    What about my pets?

    • What if I am being evicted and can’t keep my pet?
    • How do I find pet-friendly housing?
    • I need help with other resources for my pet. How can I get assistance for pet food/medical care/other supplies/etc.?
    Get answers to these questions and more at our Pet Owner Housing Guide.

    After you apply for rental assistance

    Your application is routed to the Pima County Community Action Agency (CAA), which can:
    • Answer questions regarding the status of an application
    • Provide forms required for processing
    • Offer help to submit pending information
    • Direct applicants to other resources.
    Call the CAA COVID-19 hotline at 520-724-2505.

    NOTE: Incomplete applications can NOT be processed, so be sure all your documents are uploaded.

    If you also need utility assistance, let the CAA staff person know immediately.

    FAQs on rental assistance from the Arizona Department of Housing

    Other rent/utility assistance

    Contact the Pima County Community Action Agency at 520-724-2667 for non-COVID-related rent, mortgage and utility assistance (Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:30-10:30 a.m.). For additional mortgage support and foreclosure assistance, contact the Pima County Housing Center (EL Banco) at 520-724-2460.

    You may also qualify for utility or other assistance for which additional documents will be required.

    Contact one of these Pima County Emergency Services Network agencies:
    Ajo (Ariz.), ONLY: International Sonoran Desert Alliance, (520) 387-3570

    Legal help

    Facing an eviction case? Know your rights. FREE legal help might be available through Step Up to Justice, a civil legal center for low-income individuals and families in Pima County. Click the links for more information -- English and Spanish -- about the Eviction Prevention Clinic, operated by SU2J in conjunction with the County.

    More resources

  • Arizona Bar Association: RESPOND Legal Hotline, 866-611-6022
  • Snell & Wilmer Coronavirus Legal Aid Clinic, 602-382-6919
  • Southern Arizona Legal Aid (SALA), 520-623-9465

  • Video, Telephonic and Court Appearance Instructions

    AZLawHelp.org: Landlord and Tenant Rights and Responsibilities
    AZLawHelp.org: Understanding the Arizona Residential Landlord And Tenant Act (A.R.S. Title 33 Chapter 10)


    • To find a food pantry near you: text FOOD or COMIDA to 877877 or visit the Community Food Bank’s website.
    • Meals for children under 18: call AZ Hunger Hotline (602) 528-3434 or (800) 445-1914


    • Information on job leads, job training or help navigating unemployment benefits: call the Pima County Dislocated Worker Hotline at (520) 724-5735.
    • Arizona Department of Economic Security: Apply for unemployment insurance


    Office Depot, OfficeMax, and Staples are offering free services if you need to copy, scan, or fax documents.

    More resources/information

    Ending Poverty Now
    Pima County COVID-19 Health Information
    Pima County Regional Resources
    The Tucson Pima Collaboration to End Homelessness and City of Tucson Housing & Community Development have published an updated Resource Guide for People Experiencing Homelessness During the COVID-19 Pandemic.

    Find information regarding health amid COVID-19, and contacts for:

    • Emergency Shelter
    • Coordinated Entry (Housing Assessment)
    • Day Centers
    • Meals
    • Food Bags and Emergency Food Assistance
    • Medical and Behavioral Health Care
    • Overdose Prevention and Treatment
    • Resources for Military Veterans
    • Domestic Violence Resources
    • Resources for People Living with HIV/AIDS

    Rent Assistance

    You should encourage your tenant to apply for rent assistance. Links are available at the site above. Funds are limited so the sooner, the better.

    You can also begin the process of getting rent assistance for your tenant if you are currently in an eviction process, or would initiate one if the CDC moratorium was not in place.

    Both of these funds will pay for multiple months and up to $2000 per month. They will not pay late fees but will cover court costs.

    If you have property in other parts of the state, you can find links to other rental assistance here: https://housing.az.gov/general-public/rental-assistance-resources-eviction-prevention

    Some Suggestions

    • Open up a dialogue with your tenant. Communicate that you want to work with them, and establish a payment plan.
    • Keep a record of your attempts to communicate with your tenant.
    • Share with your tenants the resources that are available to them
    • More resources are at the Arizona Housing Coalition: Landlord Tool-Kit for Responding to COVID-19 Impacted Tenants

    Mortgage Assistance

    Other Property Owner Resources

    Frequently Asked Questions

    HOW do I prove I applied for rental assistance?

    Apply for rental assistance as soon as possible. The application does not need to be accepted. You must have written proof the application was completed, not just started. If you do not receive a confirming email that your application was completed, reach out to the governmental agency or nonprofit and ask for written confirmation.

    HOW do I prove I attempted to enter a payment plan with the landlord?

    Propose a payment plan that you can afford, in writing, to your landlord as soon as possible. The landlord does not need to accept your proposed plan in order for the delay to be granted. Here is a template for a payment plan.

    CAN the landlord still file for an eviction?

    Yes, the landlord can still go to court and get a judgment against you. Remember, the EO did not stop the eviction process, it only delays the constable or sheriff from removing you from your residence. Providing notice to the landlord/property manager keeps the constable or sheriff from evicting you until August 22. After August 21, you have additional requirements:
    1. Re-notify your landlord of your COVID-19 related hardship and provide any available supporting documentation;
    2. Written proof you completed an application for rental assistance from a city, county or state or nonprofit;
    3. A payment plan, or written proof you asked your landlord for a payment plan.
    The constable or sheriff will request to see all the documentation provided to your landlord. Keep careful records.

    WHAT if I didn’t receive a notice of the hearing?

    You can file a Motion to Reconsider or contact an attorney immediately. You have five days from the day of your hearing to act. See the Legal Resources tab for free legal assistance.

    WHAT is a Motion to Compel and what should I do if my landlord files one

    A motion to compel is a request to Court from the landlord/property manager to compel the constable or sheriff to remove you from your home regardless of your circumstance. If a motion is filed, the court will set a hearing and you will be notified of the court date. It is important that you attend the hearing and show the court your notice to the landlord and all of your documentation concerning your COVID-19 circumstance.
    • You may also want to seek legal advice and/or representation. See the Legal Resources tab for free legal assistance.

    WHAT happens once the judge rules on the Motion to Compel?

    If the judge rules in your favor, you will continue to receive a delay in the enforcement of your eviction. If the judge rules for the landlord, the sheriff or constable can return to your residence within 24-48 hours to lock you out.

    If the judge rules against you, you can file a motion to respond. Complete this form and file it with the court immediately. You may only have 24 to 48 hours to do so. Be sure to include in your statement why you should be able to stay in your home or apartment. Be sure to attach all the related documentation noted at the beginning of this FAQ. You should make every attempt to seek legal advice.

    WHO will request to see the notice?

    If the court, constable, or sheriff requests to see the notice and documentation provided to your landlord, you must show them the notice and documentation. If the constable or sheriff still intends to lock you out of the property, you may want to contact an attorney immediately.

    WHAT am I responsible for if I have a delayed eviction?

    You are still responsible for all monthly payments of rent and late fees. If rent is refused by the landlord/property manager, save it for future payment as long as you remain in the property. Document all of your efforts to pay monthly rent. Remember, you are still obligated to comply with the law and your lease for as long as you and your family reside in the property.

    More FAQs from the Arizona Department of Housing

    Follow UsShare this page

    Community and Workforce Development

    Kino Service Center
    (Dislocated worker)
    2797 E. Ajo Way
    Tucson, AZ 85713

    (520) 724-7700

    Veterans Workforce Center
    2801 E. Ajo Way
    Tucson, AZ 85713

    (520) 724-2646

    Rio Nuevo Center
    (Unemployed adults)
    340 N. Commerce Park Loop
    Tortolita Building
    Tucson, AZ 85745

    (520) 724-7650

    Sullivan Jackson Employment Center
    (Homeless individuals)
    400 E. 26th St.
    Tucson, AZ 85713

    (520) 724-7300

    Youth Employment Center
    320 N. Commerce Park Loop Sentinel Building, 2nd Floor
    Tucson, AZ 85745

    (520) 724-9649

    Housing Center (El Banco)
    801 W. Congress St.
    Tucson, AZ 85745

    (520) 724-2460

    Department Home Page
    Department News
    Department Directory
    Department Feedback Form
    Department Calendar
    Boards, Commissions and Committees