• Increase font size
  • Decrease font size
  • Print
  • RSS
  • Pet Owner Housing Guide

    picture of a cat

    For information on Eviction Prevention programs:

    COVID-19 Eviction Prevention Assistance from the Arizona Department of Housing 
    Pima County Community Action Agency Eviction Prevention Hotline: 520-724-2505
    What Tenants Need to Know during COVID-19 / Información para los Arrendatarios durante el COVID-19
    City of Tucson Eviction Prevention Information
    Pima County’s Ending Poverty Now program
    Pima County Housing Center COVID-19 Resource List

    For Legal Assistance:

    Pima County's Emergency Eviction Legal Services (EELS)
    Southern Arizona Legal Aid 
    AZ Law Help COVID-19 Legal Information
    Step Up to Justice Legal Assistance and Step Up to Justice COVID-19 Resources

    Pet Owner Housing Guide FAQs

    What do I do if I am being evicted and can’t keep my pet?

    1. Start searching for a new home or temporary home for your pet as soon as you are able to. Even if you think there’s a chance you won’t be evicted, start reaching out to rescue groups and finding potential adopters now. Finding your pet a new home can take a while and you’re more likely to find a great home if you start searching sooner rather than later. Be honest with people about the situation and if it changes and you can keep your pet, that’s great! But, it’s better to have options than to wait until the last minute and have no idea where you can take your pet.
    2. Check out the "Rehoming your pet" tips for how to find a new home yourself. This will provide you with tips on how to find a new home for your pet directly.
    3. If you need some guidance or you’re unable to find a new home for your pet, you can contact Pima Animal Care Center’s Pet Support Center by completing this survey. Someone from the Pet Support Center will contact you to discuss what resources are available to you and what options you have for rehoming your pet.

    I have a family member, neighbor, or friend who would take the pet for me but they already have pets or don’t have enough space. What can I do?

    Contact the Pet Support Center to see if we can provide you with any supplies that would make it possible for your pet to stay with your family member/friend/neighbor. We may be able to provide you with pet food, a crate, and other supplies that are needed to care for your pet.

    How do I find pet-friendly housing?

    1. Go to No Kill Pima County’s pet-friendly housing resource page. This page provides tips for searching for a pet-friendly home and provides a list of some apartment complexes and property management companies that allow pets (and some that allow pit bulls)
    2. Check the Pet Friendly Housing Database at My Pit Bull is Family. Their website also has Tips for Families who are searching for pet friendly housing as well as other housing resources.
    3. Get your pet spayed/neutered (fixed) and get them fully vaccinated. Landlords generally prefer when animals are fixed and have all their shots. Getting your pet up to date may help you get landlords to agree to let you keep your pet. If you need assistance with the cost of spay/neuter and vaccines, contact the Pet Support Center to discuss your options.
    4. If your current neighbors like your pet, get them to write “letters of recommendation” telling a new landlord what a great neighbor your pet is. A big reason landlords are reluctant to rent to people with pets is worry that the pet will bother your future neighbors. Getting your current neighbors to tell them how great your pet is can go a long way to easing those fears
    5. Don’t rule a place out just because it doesn’t explicitly say that it is pet friendly housing. Some landlords don’t want to advertise that they take pets but will allow it for well-behaved animals.

    I found a place to stay but I can’t afford the pet deposit. What can I do?

    Contact Pima Animal Care Center’s Pet Support Center to discuss options that are available to you

    I have new housing lined up but I can’t move in right away. What do I do with the pet in the meantime?

    1. Ask family and friends if they would be able to keep your pet for a short period of time
    2. Check with local pet boarding facilities to see if you’d be able to pay to board your pet for a short period of time. Your pet needs to be up to date on vaccines and likely needs to be spayed/neutered to stay at a boarding facility. Contact PACC’s Pet Support Center to talk about options for low-cost or no-cost vaccines and spay/neuter
    3. If you can’t afford boarding but have a move-in date for a new place, contact the Pet Support Center to discuss what options are available to you. They may be able to assist with the cost of boarding or help you find a lower-cost option.

    My pet is staying with a friend/family member for a while. How can I make sure to keep
    my pet safe?

    1. Get your pet microchipped before sending them to stay with someone else. The microchip is permanent ID for your pet and will help reunite you with them if they get lost or otherwise end up at the shelter. If your pet is already microchipped, make sure that your contact information is up to date. Call PACC’s Licensing department to update your information at 520- 724-5969. For resources for free or low-cost microchips, contact PACC’s Pet Support Center or visit No Kill Pima County’s website at nokillpimacounty.org
    2. Encourage the person keeping your pet to keep them inside or in a crate whenever they can’t watch them. Unless your pet is staying with someone who they’ve visited a lot, they probably won’t know where they are and will be confused. If they are left outside alone, they may try to run away to get back home and end up lost.
    3. Keep in touch with the person keeping your pet! Unfortunately, it’s not uncommon for pets to be surrendered to the shelter after someone has been keeping them for a while and can’t get ahold of the owner. Keep in touch so that you can make sure your pet is doing ok!
    4. Make sure that the person keeping your pet has your pet’s vaccine records. If something happens to your pet, it’s important to know when their last vaccines were.
    5. Get your agreement, including the how long you think the pet may stay with them, in writing whenever possible (text messages count!). Unfortunately, sometimes things go wrong in these situations and it can be helpful to have proof of what you agreed to with whoever is keeping your pet.

    I need help with other resources for my pet. How can I get assistance for pet food/medical care/other supplies/etc?

    1. PACC is currently is providing free pet food at various locations in Pima County:
    2. No Kill Pima County has an extensive resource list providing information on many free or low-cost pet resources in Pima County. Their website is nokillpimacounty.org
    3. Contact PACC’s Pet Support Center. They can direct you to free or low-cost options in the community and can tell you about other programs you may be eligible for

    I am going to be keeping my pet with me and we’re going to be staying outside or in a car. How can I make sure to keep my pet safe?

    1. Make sure that your pet is microchipped and that your contact information is up to date. You can call PACC’s Licensing department to update your pet’s microchip information at 520-724-5969. If you need your pet’s microchip number, you can bring them to PACC or almost any private practice vet to be scanned. We also recommend giving us the phone number or contact information for a family member or friend who will know how to get in touch with you if you lose access to your phone or email.
    2. Keep your pet in a cool place during the heat of the day. If the ground is too hot for you to touch with your bare hands, it is too hot for your pet to walk on. Letting them walk on the ground when it is too hot can cause very painful burns on their paw pads that require a vet visit to treat.
    3. Remember that cars can get very hot and it can be very dangerous to leave your pet in a car during the day, even when you are parked in the shade. If you leave your pet alone in a car, Animal Protection Services may be called to remove your pet and you could be charged with a crime.
    4. Remember that it is illegal in Pima County to leave your pet tied up, even if it’s just for a short period of time. If you need to go somewhere and can’t take your pet, see if any family or friends can watch them for you. If you leave your pet tied up, they may be removed by Animal Protection and you could be charged with a crime.
    5. PACC’s Pup in Boots program provides some pet supplies to people who are experiencing homelessness. If you need more information about this program, contact PACC’s Pet Support Center
     Follow UsShare this page
    Animal Care Center

    4000 N. Silverbell Rd.
    Tucson, AZ 85745
    Phone: (520) 724-5900
    Fax: (520) 724-5960


    Monday to Friday
    noon to 7 p.m.*

    Saturday & Sunday
    10 a.m. to 5 p.m.*

    *Must be checked in to wait list 45 minutes before close to be seen in adoption and admission department.

    Ajo Substation

    1249 N Well Rd
    Ajo, AZ 85321
    Phone: (520) 387-7502


    11 a.m. - 1 p.m.
    Wednesday: 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.
    Wednesday: 4:30pm-6:30pm
    Friday:  11 a.m. - 1 p.m.

    Adopt a Pet at the Pima Animal Care Center
    Donate to Pima Animal Care Center
    Foster a Pet at the Pima Animal Care Center
    Department Home Page
    Department News
    Department Directory
    Department Feedback Form
    Animal Protection Services
    Department Calendar
    Boards, Commissions and Committees
    Volunteer at PACC
    Public Records Request