Frequently Asked Questions

Regarding Public Records Requests From PDEQ

FYI:  Phase I & Phase II ESAs are considered Commercial Requests!

How do I request a PDEQ Public Record?

First, decide if your request is Commercial or Non-Commercial.  Then, fill out the corresponding Commercial or Non-Commercial Public Records Request Form.  Finally, submit the two-page form to PDEQ with payment (if applicable).

How do I know if my request is Commercial or Non-Commercial?

A commercial request means the use of a public record for the purpose of sale or resale including any of the following:

  • Producing a document containing all or part of the copy, printout or photograph for sale, or
  • Obtaining names and addresses from such public records for the purpose of solicitation or for creating a list for resale, or
  • For any purpose in which the purchaser can reasonably anticipate the receipt of monetary gain from the direct or indirect use of such public records (Arizona Revised Statutes §39-121.03(D)).

A non-commercial request is any request that will not be transmitted or sold to any other person or business entity for a commercial purpose.  For example, if a property owner had a complaint made against them and they wanted copies of the complaint documentation, that is considered a non-commercial request.

Will there be a fee?

Commercial records requests incur a fee and are charged per parcel.  Non-Commercial records requests, depending on the request, may or may not incur a reproduction fee.



 Non-Commercial Requests

 $0.35 per page for paper copies; there is no charge for copies sent electronically

Unlimited Commercial Requests 

All PDEQ records are searched (e.g. Phase I & II Environmental Site Assessments, Due Diligence, etc.)

 $125.00 per parcel

Limited Commercial Requests 

 Only specific records are searched (e.g. specific permit, project, complaint, etc.)

 $50.00 per request

 For reproduction of construction plans, the fee is $10.00 PER PLAN SHEET, in addition to any outside reproduction costs incurred by PDEQ.


For electronic files burned to a CD there is a $5.00 per compact disc fee.  A $12.00 fee is assessed for files copied to a flash drive instead of a CD.  A MINUMUM fee of $5.00 is assessed for oversized documents in addition to any outside reproduction costs incurred by PDEQ.

How long will it take to receive the results of my Public Records Request?

Depending on the complexity and volume of the search, requests can take up to two weeks to be processed.  Requests for multiple property searches will have a longer turnaround time and may be submitted with one request form that includes an attached list of addresses or parcel numbers.  All requests are processed in the order in which they are received.

What information/documents will I receive?

For non-commercial requests, PDEQ staff will locate the record(s) and provide them in the format preferred by the requestor (e.g. email, paper copy).
For commercial requests, upon receipt of the request form and payment, a letter detailing the results of the search will be provided in the format preferred by the requestor (e.g. email, paper copy).  After reviewing the letter, the requestor may choose to request copies of the identified records.  Records will not be released until payment is received by PDEQ.

Can I come to the office to review records?

The majority of PDEQ's records are electronic (PDFs). For this reason, the public cannot review records in-person. 

What does "tampering with records" mean?

A person is guilty of tampering with a public record if, with the intent to defraud or deceive, such person knowingly destroys, mutilates, conceals, removes, or otherwise impairs the availability of any record.  Tampering with a public record is a Class 6 Felony (A.R.S. § 13-2407.C).

What is NOT considered a public record?

Certain records are exempt from public disclosure.  Documents that may not be considered public records, and therefore may not be available, include:
  • Information where prohibited by Arizona state law, federal law, or court order
  • Trial preparation records
  • Confidential information (e.g. Motor Vehicle record)
  • Confidential law enforcement investigatory records

Which statute applies specifically to the Pima County public records process?

Who can I contact for septic or building records?

Who can I contact if I have questions about PDEQ Public Records Requests?

Contact PDEQ at (520) 724-7400.

Follow UsShare this page

Department of Environmental Quality

33 N. Stone Ave., Suite 700
Tucson, AZ 85701

Phone: (520) 724-7400
Fax: (520) 838-7432

Department Home Page
Department News
Department Hours
Department Directory
Department Feedback Form
Report a problem
Department Calendar
Public Works Quick Guide
Boards, Commissions and Committees
Rules and Regulations
Reports and Publications
Department Forms