Health Alert:   COVID-19 Transmission Level:   HIGH   More information
Get vaccinated.
Pima County Government Logo
  • Increase font size
  • Decrease font size
  • Print
  • RSS
  • Free pet microchip clinic begins June 21 at PACC

    Jun 21, 2021 | Read More News
    Share this page
    picture of a dog PIMA COUNTY, June 21, 2021 – Pima Animal Care Center is holding a FREE pet microchip clinic starting June 21. The event will be held in the multipurpose room at the shelter, 4000 North Silverbell Road, from 9 to 11 a.m. each day. This is open to the public, and no appointment is needed. 

    The clinic starts June 21, then continues June 24-July 1. (There is no clinic on June 22 or June 23 due to parking lot repairs.) The first-come, first-served service is limited to 50 microchipped pets, so folks will be turned away once the daily limit has been reached.  

    Dogs will need to be on leashes. Cats will need to be in carriers. Pet owners will need to wear a mask that covers their nose and mouth. Pet owners can park in the PACC parking lot, but are asked to avoid the spots with cones, as those are for people surrendering strays or pets. 

    “We are ramping up our pet microchip events to get ready for the Fourth of July,” said Monica Dangler, Director of Animal Services. “Pets can easily get scared and we want to make sure that they make it back home as quickly as possible, and a microchip is the best way to do that! With a quick scan, PACC staffers can find a phone number and call the pet owner to pick up their lost pet.”

    PACC has some tips to help pet owners best prepare for Fourth of July:

    • Get your pet microchipped and make sure the information is up to date:  
    • Make sure your pet has a secure collar with a tag that is up to date. Collar tags in PACC’s Central Pet Lobby store are FREE right now with the purchase of a collar! This sale will run through July 3. 
    • Have a plan for Fourth of July: place your pet in a quiet place like a kennel if they enjoy being in it.
    • Give your pet a special treat or toy like a Kong stuffed with peanut butter.
    • Put on a TV show or some music to drown out the fireworks.
    • Have your pet wear a Thundershirt, which has a calming effect. You can buy one in the PACC Lobby store.

    “Even if your pet has never been scared of fireworks before, it is good to have a plan,” Dangler said. “Sometimes pets get spooked. The days following Fourth of July were pretty busy last summer, so we want to help these pets go right back home as soon as they get here.”

    As a reminder, PACC is waiving redemption fees for lost pets who find themselves in a kennel. To see if your pet is at the shelter, check the intake hourly, as it changes throughout the day.

    Another way people can help the shelter is by hanging onto those friendly stray pets that they find roaming in their neighborhood. Chances are that the pet belongs to one of their neighbors. Pets that stay in the area where they are found also have an 80 percent chance of making it home versus the 20 percent when they are brought to the shelter.

    Right now, PACC is taking in about 20 more pets than they are getting out each day, so if you want to help, you can adopt, foster, volunteer or donate to Friends of Pima Animal Care Center. Friends of PACC is the official nonprofit partner to Pima Animal Care Center, and relies on grants and individual donations to support the life-saving work of the shelter. People can make their donations at

    Pets four months and up have $0 adoption fees. There is a $20 licensing fee that may apply to adopted dogs. This promotion will continue through July 16. Pima Animal Care Center is open Monday to Friday, noon to 7 p.m., and 10 a.m. until 5 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays. To see a list of available pets and services, head to