• Increase font size
  • Decrease font size
  • Print
  • RSS
  • Orders of Protection

    The purpose of an Order of Protection is to restrain another person from committing an act of domestic violence, as defined in (ARS 13-3601A). To be granted an order, your relationship to the defendant must be one of the following:  

    • The relationship is one of marriage or former marriage or of persons residing or having resided in the same household.
    • A parent of a child of the defendant.
    • Pregnant by the defendant.
    • Related to the defendant or the defendant's spouse by blood or court order as a parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, brother or sister or by marriage as a parent-in-law, grandparent-in-law, stepparent, step-grandparent, stepchild, step-grandchild, brother- in-law or sister-in-law.
    • A child who resides or has resided in the same household as the defendant and is related by blood to a former spouse of the defendant or to a person of the opposite sex who resides or who has resided in the same household as the defendant.
    • The relationship is currently or was previously a romantic or sexual relationship. The following factors may be considered in determining whether the relationship between the victim and the defendant is currently or was previously a romantic or sexual relationship:
    A.     The type of relationship.
    B.     The length of the relationship.
    C.     The frequency of the interaction between the victim and the defendant.
    D.     If the relationship has terminated, the length of time since the termination.
    An alleged crime of domestic violence must have been committed against you by one of the relations listed above, within the last year to obtain the order.

    The person filing the Order of Protection is called the plaintiff. The person against whom the order is filed is called the defendant. If the plaintiff is a minor, the petition must be filed by the parent, legal guardian or the person who has legal custody of the minor. Any order of protection sought against a person who is less than twelve years of age must be filed in the Juvenile Court, and in those cases in which the defendant and the plaintiff are both parties to an open dependency case.

    An Order of Protection may be filed in the Ajo Justice Court Monday through Friday between court business hours.

    • Ajo Justice Court, 111 La Mina Avenue, Ajo, AZ  85321

    After 4:30 p.m. weekdays, or at any time on a weekend or holiday, an emergency injunction against harassment can be filed by contacting the Pima County Sheriff's Department (547-6711). In case of an emergency call 911.

    The petition should be filed in Pima County Superior Court if you are involved in a pending legal action related to divorce, legal separation, paternity, child support, custody or visitation o intend to file one of these actions within the next 30 days.

    What happens if the Order of Protection is granted?

    If the judge grants the order of protection, a member of the clerk's staff will complete the paperwork for you. The defendant must be served with the order before it becomes effective. Court staff will explain how to have the defendant served. Once an order has been served, it will be in effect for twelve (12) months. It is important to keep a copy of the order with you at all times.

    The defendant may file a Request for Hearing to contest, change or modify the order. Court staff will then schedule a hearing and all parties will be notified. The location of the hearing will be determined by the location of the plaintiff's residence, either city or county. The court will mail a copy of the notice of hearing to you specifying the location, date and time of the hearing.

    Have additional questions?

    If you have any questions concerning an order of protection, you may obtain information from the courts listed below:
    • Ajo Justice Court at (520) 387-7684
    • Clerk of the Juvenile Court at (520) 724-2064
    • Clerk of the Superior Court at (520) 724-3272 or 724-3235

    Additional information is also available on the Arizona Supreme Court Domestic Violence website at the link found in the links tab of this website.

    Follow UsShare this page
    Justice Court Ajo

    111 La Mina Ave.
    Ajo, AZ 85321

    Phone: (520) 387-7684
    Email: ajojp1003@courts.az.gov

    Observed holidays

    Department Home Page
    Department Hours
    Department Directory