• Increase font size
  • Decrease font size
  • Print
  • RSS
  • Emergency Services Programs

    For information on rental assistance and eviction protection needed because of financial hardship related to the coronavirus, visit our webpage, What Tenants Need to Know During COVID-19. Learn more about ongoing County assistance programs amid COVID-19 through the Community & Workforce Development Department.

    Rental Assistance

    • For households making an initial request for rental assistance, you can apply through state, county or nonprofit programs. Click the button to apply through the Arizona Department of Housing. See below for a list of more agencies with the potential to help.

    Eviction Protection

    • For households currently in some phase of the eviction process (not just behind on their rent)
    • For households that would be in the eviction process if not for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) eviction moratorium through Dec. 31.

    Which one is right for me?

    Eviction Prevention

    Eviction Protection logoThis unique program, funded at $3.625 million from the County’s Cares ACT funds and distributed by the Community Investment Corporation, allows landlords/property owners and tenants to initiate the application process. The program will pay outstanding rents in arrears as far back as March 2020, as well as prepay through November, if necessary. Fill out the prequalification form or call 831-292-4308 for more information.

    Qualification Criteria:

    • Tenant lives in Pima County
    • Tenant is at risk of eviction (e.g. tenant has been issued notice of eviction or is in court proceedings)
    • Tenant has experienced a financial crisis due to COVID-19
    • Household income does not exceed 120% of Area Median Income
    • At least one person in household is a legal resident in the U.S.
    • Tenant completes an application and submits proper documentation
    • Rent is $2,000/month or less (or landlord agrees to lower payment if higher)
    • Payment request does not include months already covered by another rental/eviction assistance program
    • Landlord agrees to Eviction Payment Plan with renter, which includes:
      • Waiving late fees or interest payments on late rent;
      • Commitment not to further pursue eviction during period covered;
      • Reversing/withdrawing eviction proceedings
      • Providing additional documentation (e.g. lease agreement, proof of last payment made, etc.)

    Rental Assistance

    The Pima County Community Action Agency’s (CAA) COVID-19 Rental Eviction Assistance program may provide rent up to a maximum of $2,000 per month, for multiple months if needed. The payment goes directly to the landlord.

    Apply online at housing.az.gov or call toll free 2-1-1 to apply via telephone or for assistance in completing the application. You will need:
    • Your state-issued photo I.D.
    • A copy of your current lease
    • Documents proving the crisis that caused you to get behind on your rent
    NOTE: Incomplete applications can NOT be processed, so be sure all your documents are uploaded. If you also need utility assistance, let the CAA staff person know when you are contacted.

    FAQs on rental assistance from the Arizona Department of Housing

    After you apply

    After you apply via the ADOH, CAA staffers can answer questions regarding the status of an application, provide forms that are required for processing, offer direction and assistance to submit pending information, and direct applicants to other resources. Call their hotline at 520-724-2505.

    Emergency Assistance Agencies in Pima County

    Rent, Mortgage, and Utility assistance is limited. Financial assistance may be available for eviction prevention, mortgage payment, move-in, utility, utility deposit, and utility repair/replacement assistance, as well as special needs such as dental, vision, and car repairs.

    Callers will be screened for potential eligibility and an appointment may be scheduled based on available funds and/or appointments.

    Callers will be screened for potential eligibility and an appointment may be scheduled based on available funds and/or appointments.

    ALL financial assistance programs are based on income eligibility and the availability of funds and/or appointments. 

    Required documents

    These documents are required for all types of assistance applications. Once you have all the documents listed here, you may call the numbers below to request an appointment.

    • Applicant’s state-issued picture I.D.
    • Applicant’s proof of U.S. Citizenship or Permanent Legal Residence (birth certificate, naturalization papers,
    • permanent resident card, U. S. passport)
    • Social security cards for all household members
    • Birth certificates for children 17 and under
    • Proof of all household income for the past 30 days (pay stubs, current award letters, etc.)
    • Rental eviction/late notice and/or lease
    • Current mortgage statement/coupon
    • Current utility bills (electric, gas, water) – no cable and/or telephone bills
    • Supporting documentation regarding the crisis that caused you to get behind in your rent/mortgage.
    Additional information may be required at the time of appointment.

    Pima County Emergency Services Network Agencies

    These agencies do not accept walk-ins. Please call for an appointment.

    Pima County Utility Assistance Affiliates

    These agencies provide only utility assistance and do not accept walk-ins. Please call for an appointment.
    • St. Vincent de Paul St. Elizabeth Ann Seton -- (520) 219-7631, Northwest area
    • Arivaca/Amado area ONLY -- Arivaca Coordinating Council, (520) 398-2771 
    • PPEP Utility Assistance-- (520) 770-2506
    • St. Vincent de Paul Santa Catalina -- (520) 825-8288, Catalina area
    • Green Valley, Sahuarita, Amado – SOS Only -- Salvation Army Green Valley, (520) 625-3888

    Discount Programs

    Sewer Outreach Subsidy Discount Program (SOS)

    Sewer Outreach Subsidy Program will provide a monthly discount for the sewer portion of their bill. The discount may be 25%, 50%, or 75%.

    For more information, visit the Sewer Outreach Subsidy (SOS) Program. |  y el Español version

    City of Tucson Limited Income Assistance Program for Tucson Water and Environmental Services

    City of Tucson Water will provide a monthly credit to qualifying customers for the water portion of their Tucson Water bill. Call 520-791-5443 to determine eligibility and schedule an appointment.

    For more information, visit the the City of Tucson Low Income Assistance Program.

    Pima County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request for individuals with disabilities by contacting 520-724-7700.

    Follow UsShare this page

    Community and Workforce Development

    Kino Service Center
    (Dislocated worker)
    2797 E. Ajo Way
    Tucson, AZ 85713

    (520) 724-7700

    Veterans Workforce Center
    2801 E. Ajo Way
    Tucson, AZ 85713

    (520) 724-2646

    Rio Nuevo Center
    (Unemployed adults)
    340 N. Commerce Park Loop
    Tortolita Building
    Tucson, AZ 85745

    (520) 724-7650

    Sullivan Jackson Employment Center
    (Homeless individuals)
    400 E. 26th St.
    Tucson, AZ 85713

    (520) 724-7300

    Youth Employment Center
    320 N. Commerce Park Loop Sentinel Building, 2nd Floor
    Tucson, AZ 85745

    (520) 724-9649

    Housing Center (El Banco)
    801 W. Congress St.
    Tucson, AZ 85745

    (520) 724-2460

    Department Home Page
    Department News
    Department Directory
    Department Feedback Form
    Department Calendar
    Boards, Commissions and Committees