• Increase font size
  • Decrease font size
  • Print
  • RSS
  • Neighborhood Traffic Management Program

    traffic circle

    The Neighborhood Traffic Management Program (NTMP) improves traffic safety in neighborhoods by reducing speeding vehicles and reducing cut-through traffic. Residents may partner with Pima County to modify neighborhood streets with traffic calming techniques such as speed humps and traffic circles.


    To request an information packet please email or call (520) 724-6410.

    To participate in this program, a neighborhood must:

    • Be located in an unincorporated area of Pima County
    • Have paved roads maintained by Pima County
    • Have a posted speed limit of 25 mph

    Basic Program Procedures

    1. Call 724-6410 or request a NTMP information packet. The initial packet contains information about the program, traffic calming, and costs to the neighborhood.
    2. After reviewing the initial packet, meet with your neighbors and discuss the information provided. The whole neighborhood must be involved.
    3. Call Traffic Engineering at 724-6410 to set up an initial neighborhood meeting. At this meeting, the NTMP will be explained in detail.
    4. To proceed, circulate petitions given out after the first meeting. At least 60% of the property owners in the traffic input benefit area must show an interest. Send the completed petitions to Pima County Department of Transportation (PCDOT). The petitions will be verified and then your neighborhood will be included in the NTMP.
    5. The data collection phase will then be scheduled. This phase involves taking traffic volumes and traffic speeds, and a general review of the area.
    6. Results of the data that was collected will be discussed at a second meeting. Several alternatives will be presented. These options may include traffic circles, speed humps, or other traffic calming devices.
    7. The neighborhood committee will select a plan. The plan will be approved by the Deputy Director of PCDOT. A petition will be circulated requiring approval of 60% of the property owners. This petition will be validated by PCDOT.
    8. Construction of the project will then be scheduled. The neighborhood will pay the contractor when the project is completed.

    Traffic Calming Techniques

    Speed Hump

    Speed Bump

    Traffic Circle

    Traffic Circle

    Traffic Island


    Bump Out

    Bump Out


    Q: Does our neighborhood qualify?

    A: There are two basic requirements to be a part of the Neighborhood Traffic Management Program (NTMP). The requirements are that the area of concern is a paved roadway maintained by Pima County Department of Transportation (PCDOT) and that the roadway has a 25 mph speed limit. However, collector roadways are typically excluded from NTMP.

    Q: What is the affected area?

    A: The traffic impact benefit area (TIBA) is the area that will be directly affected by the installation of traffic calming devices. Normally, this includes the street or streets that have a traffic volume or speeding problems. It also includes any streets whose residents must use the street that is treated to enter or exit the neighborhood. This includes cul-de-sacs and dead-end streets connecting to the street with a traffic problem.

    Q: How much effort will be required by the neighborhood?

    A: Residents will be required to form a neighborhood advisory committee, schedule meetings, hold petition drives, select a traffic management plan, and pay for the selected traffic calming devices.

    Q: What is the difference between a speed bump and a speed hump?

    A: A “speed bump” is a device used to stop vehicles. It can be up to 6 inches in height and up to 3 feet in length. It is typically used in shopping plazas. A “speed hump” is a device used to slow vehicles. It is 12 feet in length and gradually rises to a mid point height of no more than 3½ inches.

    Q: Are speed humps our only alternative?

    A: No. In fact, there are many traffic calming devices that are available. While the speed hump is the most common type of physical device, traffic circles are also an option. The neighborhood’s concerns and input will be incorporated into the final plan that is developed. However, Pima County Department of Transportation will only allow devices that are not a threat to the traveling public. PCDOT will not jeopardize the safety of the motoring public at any time.

    Q: Can our neighborhood get just one speed hump?

    A: No. Speed humps work only if they are in a series. Speed humps placed properly ensure more constant speeds through an area. A single speed hump only ensures a low speed in the immediate vicinity of the speed hump.

    Q: Is our whole neighborhood required to have traffic calming devices?

    A: For many neighborhoods, traffic calming devices on one street are adequate. However, to avoid diverting traffic to adjacent streets, the entire area may need to be addressed.

    Q: Who decides in my neighborhood if we should have traffic calming devices?

    A: The decision to accept the recommend plan is made by the residents. The neighborhood selects a committee to coordinate activities. Any proposals developed by PC TED and the TIBA committee must be supported by 60 percent of the residents in the traffic impact benefit area.

    Q: How much will traffic calming devices cost?

    A: A speed hump normally costs $1,500 to $3,500 to construct. The wider the roadway, the more a speed hump will cost. In many neighborhoods, the cost is approximately $3,000 per speed hump. A traffic circle normally costs $3,000 to $5,000 to construct. The neighborhood must secure a one year maintenance contract to maintain the landscaping in the traffic circle or traffic islands. The County will pay for signing and striping needs.

    Q: How long is the process?

    A: It depends on the commitment of the neighborhood, and the extent of the NTMP plan supported by the residents. Some projects have been completed in as little as 6 months while others are still on going after several years. In most neighborhoods, the process has taken approximately nine months.

    Q: Will emergency vehicles be slowed by a speed hump?

    A: Yes. All vehicles traveling through the neighborhood will have their speeds reduced. However, operators of emergency vehicles do not speed through residential areas because they don't want to cause an accident. Traffic calming devices reduce overall speeds, which reduces potential for vehicular accidents and the need for emergency services. Based on studies by fire departments, each speed hump reduces the response time of an emergency vehicles by approximately four seconds.

    Q: Can the neighborhood get an all-way stop at some intersections?

    A: An all-way stop control must be warranted by federal guidelines. PCDOT does not install stop signs to slow down traffic or to discourage cut-through traffic. Studies have shown that motorists tend to increase their speed on the segments between stop signs.

    Q: Can our neighborhood get "SLOW CHILDREN PLAYING" signs?

    A: No. These signs give parents and children a false sense of security and are generally disregarded by motorists. These signs are not effective for reducing speeds or protecting children. The best protection is to prevent children from playing in the street.

    Q: What is the general order of events in the NTMP?

    Follow UsShare this page

    Kathryn Skinner, P.E.

    201 N. Stone Ave., 4th Fl.
    Tucson, AZ 85701

    Phone: (520) 724-6410
    Fax: (520) 724-6439

    Department Home Page
    Department News
    Department Directory
    Boards, Commissions and Committees
    Report a problem
    Public Works Quick Guide
    Volunteer with Pima County