• Increase font size
  • Decrease font size
  • Print
  • RSS
  • Marriage License

    How to Obtain a Marriage License in Green Valley

    You may apply for a marriage license Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. at the Green Valley Justice Court or the Pima County Superior Court.

    In order to obtain a license, both parties must appear at the court house with the following documents/information:

    • Valid Identification Card

    The law prohibits marriage by any person who is under 16 years of age. The age of legal consent is 18 years of age. The State of Arizona does not require a blood test and there is no waiting period requirement. The license is valid for 12 months from the date of issuance and you must marry within that 12 months or the license will expire. The license issued by our office can be used anywhere in the State of Arizona.

    Obtaining the marriage license does not mean you are married. A Justice of the Peace, clergyman, or other authorized person, pursuant to A.R.S. § 25-124, must perform a marriage ceremony and sign the marriage license in order for you to be legally married.

    If one of the parties is incarcerated, call (520) 724-3297 to request a paper application by mail. If that line is busy, leave a message and include your name, full address, and a phone number where you can be reached if we have questions. The incarcerated applicant must have his/her signature notarized on the application. The second applicant should then bring the notarized application with them to our office, fill out the information for both applicants on a kiosk, and show the clerk the notarized document when called to a window.

    Persons under 18 Years of Age

    A person who is 16 or 17 years of age may marry only if the person's prospective spouse is not more than three years older than the person, and either the person is emancipated or the parent or guardian with custody consents to the marriage. The law prohibits the Clerk of the Court from issuing a marriage license to a person under 18 years of age who does not meet these requirements.    

    The consent of at least one of your parents is required and can be accomplished by a subscribed, sworn and notarized statement containing the names of both the bride and groom and granting you the permission to wed or by completing the consent to marriage form. If your parents are divorced, or legally separated, the legal CUSTODIAL PARENT must consent to the issuance of the license. Proof of custodial parent shall be requested.

    If either of you are 15 years of age or younger, the law requires an order signed by the Juvenile Court Judge of the Superior Court. Contact the Juvenile Court at 740-2064 for information on obtaining a court order.

    Marriage License Fees

    The current fee for obtaining a marriage license is $83.00 in the form of a check, money order or cashier's check, payable to: Clerk of Superior Court.

    Congratulations and Best Wishes on your upcoming marriage!

    Follow UsShare this page
    Justice Court - Green Valley

    601 N. La Cañada Drive
    Green Valley, AZ 85614


    Phone: (520) 222-0200
    Fax: (520) 648-2235 

    No-Reply Email: GVJC@COURTS.AZ.GOV

    Monday - Friday
    8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
    Closed weekends and legal holidays.

    Payments accepted 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. 

    Department Home Page
    Department Directory